Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's days like these that I'm so glad I'm still nursing!

Yesterday afternoon, my little munchkin started showing signs of a cold.  She was coughing and had a runny nose, and she just wanted to nurse and be held.  So this is how we spent most of the evening...



and most of the day today...


I'm so thankful that even though I'm 6 months pregnant, my body is able to produce the milk she needs.  In fact, I'm not sure if it's due to my colostrum coming in or my body responding to my toddler's needs, but I've had a greater milk supply the past 2 days than I have since I got pregnant.  I'm so glad that I'm able to give my toddler not only an immunity boost, but also the comfort she craves when she's sick. 

Did you know that a child's immune system isn't fully developed until she's 6 years old?  I learned a really interesting fact on the La Leche League website that I just had to share... "Nursing also allows your baby (toddler) to give germs to you so that your immune system can respond and can synthesize antibodies! This means that if your baby has come in contact with something which you have not, (s)he will pass these germs to you at the next nursing; during that feeding, your body will start to manufacture antibodies for that particular germ. By the time the next feeding arrives, your entire immune system will be working to provide immunities for you and your baby."  How cool is that?!  It's nice to know that I can literally nurse my little ones back to health!


2 comments:

Renee said...

love it! what a good mama. hope she feels better soon!

l i z said...

had no idea about that! so cool.
feel better soon Gigi!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...